Pages

09 August 2010

Book Series: Faith and Certitude | Thomas Dubay

In the following series, I'll be posting my notes on Faith and Certitude by Thomas Dubay. This book is part of the reading I am undertaking in my quest for the truth about god, heavily inspired by the Ultimate Truth-Seeker Challenge (Easy Version) from Common Sense Atheism.

I really had high hopes for this book. It was given to me in February while I was on a retreat I attend every year as part of the body of Christian laity of which I'm a member. I was extremely excited when I cracked it open, as Dubay asks from the start whether one can have religious certitude. "Yes! I want that!", I thought to myself. He also openly presented a lot of questions people have about god and life (what's the meaning of it all, where did we come from, etc.) which I've had and desperately wanted answers to. Soon after, however, the book took a sour turn. I was surprised by what I took to be a lack of strong arguments masked over with brute-force assersions and quasi-insulting language directed at those who do not believe. Dubay is probably writing more to boost believers than to seriously combat atheists, so perhaps his passages were more aimed at assuring believers that there is "nothing to all those atheists out there" rather than actually trying to sway those outside the bubble change their minds.

I will not be presenting a chapter-by-chapter response to this book as I did with some of the others. Instead, I want to make a series of posts outlining the general content of the book and how it struck me. He uses, in my interpretation, only a few very prominent themes/points and spends his chapters hashing those out as opposed to some of the other books I've covered, where 20+ chapters are required because of the vast diversity of the arguments. This book is quite simple and concise by contrast.

The posts in order are linked below:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<i>, <b> | links: <a href=""></a>