Pages

05 August 2010

FHTM and a little about me | Intro (1 of 3)

The following is part one of a three part series about Fortune Hi-Tech Marketing, a Multi-level Marketing operation, my analysis of it, and how it brings out some of my qualities in relationship to my Quest for god. (Link to the REPORT that came out of my work).

One thing during my Quest that I've pondered often has to do with simply who I am. I'm a geek. Friends know this. I notice weird things. At a wedding the other day I pointed out that one side of a card was printed in Times and the other in what looked like Book Antiqua. I stare at the underside of Mall of America parking ramp floors (essentially, the ceiling when you're in a ramp) and marvel at the support mechanisms while also understanding that the concrete reinforcements are taller than they are wide because resistance to bending is determined by the width times the height cubed. I bought a road bike, then proceeded to take the entire thing apart down to the cassette (didn't have the tool...), clean it in my apartment bath tub with simple green and reassemble everything. No previous experience.

What am I doing, tooting my own horn? No. I'm trying to illustrate how my mind works. I want to understand everything.

That sets the stage for the following story. My wife and I went over to the house of a married couple we are friends with. We spent the night because, as it turns out, they had a truly ingenious suggestion of simply bringing our kiddo with us so that we could put all the kids to bed and just hang out in peace. You don't have to worry about getting home to put your own kid to bed; you just stay and hang out until you want to go to bed. It was awesome.

We watched a movie together and then the women went to bed. My friend asked me if I'd be up for watching a presentation for a business he had recently gotten involved in. I said I was, so we watched it. The business is called Fortune Hi-Tech Marketing (FHTM) and it falls into the category of the Multi-level Marketing strategy for selling products.

After the presentation (which was online HERE but is no longer available), he asked me what I thought. It was about 1:00am. I said that my gut reaction was that it was a pyramid scheme (chalk one up for correct gut intuition). He explained how FHTM gets their money by discussing billions of dollars that cell phone companies, dish networks, etc. (companies which FHTM sells products for) give FHTM a "cut" of these advertising dollars to sell in a peer-to-peer setting which is more effective.

Somehow the transition switched to his vision of what he could do with the potential earnings. My brain immediately switched gears. I was completely enamored with the prospect of having my house and loans paid off and how much that could bring freedom to my life. My salary would be amazing if $1,500 wasn't walking out the door every month just on a house and college loans! I was quite excited and we even began talking about how, exactly, it would work.

The business, you see, functions based on sales, but to get sales, it's easier to recruit others to be your "partners." One tactic is to host FHTM "parties" where you get a bunch of people together, show them the "pitch" and sign them up. Whoever they sign up under gets a cut of their sales (0.25%) and a bonus for their signing up ($100, provided that they make 3 sales in 60 days). My friend was willing to somewhat "head up" the effort; I would have to simply find interested candidates and then we would "co-host" these parties and add individuals to the team.

With sales, you can sign up services you already use through FHTM and have them count toward your own "points." Switching over a family cell plan is 2 points, Dish Network TV counts, as well as a bunch of other things. With just relatives, most wouldn't have too much trouble finding a reasonable amount of sales.

Sound too good to be true? Find out in Part 2 >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<i>, <b> | links: <a href=""></a>