Pages

28 September 2011

Long lost me!

It's been a loooong time since I actively blogged on this site. I think I'm coming to a point where I will resume, at least for a short time. I don't have anything substantial at the moment, but wanted to list some nice updates!
  • Things have vastly improved on the home front. I'll be adding another post to my unequally yoked series shortly to explain. It might actually wrap that series up!
  • I've finished The Agnostic Inquirer, a laborious, heady, frustrating book... but one that came highly recommended. I'm not exactly sure why it was so highly recommended, but my aims and those of it's proponents might be different. I hope to post some commentary in the very near future. For now, let's just say that the book was the most hesitantly worded thing I've ever encountered ("And if we could say X, we just might find that Y," "We don't have time to consider X in full detail, but just know that from what we've said, one just might find it likely that Y if they were to head down that path," and so on).
  • I've started Letters to a Doubting Thomas. Yay!
  • It's very, very likely that I will abandon my full goal of the Ultimate Truth Seeker Challenge (Easy Version). I've simply come to a point where I don't see much hope in being swayed and would like to get on with things of more practical benefit. If god would like to change my mind, he's got about 40 years, 50 if I'm strong. I plan to depart from the overtly atheistic vs. theistic mind suck and embark on learning about the fascinating world in which we find ourselves in -- evolutionary theory, physics, probability... and more!
  • My "coming out" statement is in progress. I will be going live with my non-belief in the very near future, so stay tuned for that. I'm taking [what I think is] a tactful approach. No debate-instigators or the like. I'm trying to simply tell my story. What happened, where am I now, where am I headed. I will at least summarize what gives me some intellectual troubles, but don't want to go into so much detail that the end result of the statement is to invite seething debate and revenge for others feeling insulted. I don't see much point in debate, honestly. Thus, the best I can do is to summarize where I am and why and get on with life. I also added a section on what I believe others can do to see me rightly rather than judgmentally or angrily. On that note, the statement will inform many others of this blog. Prior to going live, I will be doing some "pruning." I hate to exercise my dictatorship, but I will be revising some statements to be kinder to some of the individuals highlighted, and I will probably trash a few comments that come to mind. They served their purpose (to vent and express what I took to be victimhood), but will produce any benefits if those in my circles can pick up enough details to figure out who I'm talking to. Thus, some things might go bye-bye.

I think that's about it. So... getting there! I'm not sure about the long term direction for this blog. I may just stop blogging! It's work to maintain and keep up with comments, and it's served it's purpose. I've gotten my thoughts out on paper and met some great virtual bloggers with similar interests and stories, and now it seems like time to move on. I'll probably invest more heavily in the LessWrong community, increase my investment in kids/wife, and time spent on learning/hobbies.

We'll see. In any case, stay tuned, as I have some definite things I'd like to post very soon.

4 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

Good to hear from you and I will stay tuned. :-)

Like a Child said...

I think I'm sort of in the winding down process too. Good to hear from u.

Arizona Atheist said...

Hi Hendy,

I decided to take your recommendation and read The 'New' Atheism: 10 Arguments That Don't Hold Water? over the weekend. During that time I also wrote my rebuttal. It's not posted to my blog yet but I thought you might like to be the first one to read it. You can email me and I can send you a PDF (my email is in my blogger profile).

Take care.

Ryan said...

Hi Hendy,

I'm also a blogger and have self-published a book called Atheism and Naturalism which is a fairly thorough rebuttal to theism and makes a positive case that nature is the only thing that exists. It is available on Amazon.com but I'd love to help you out with your journey and send you a free e-copy. My username is ncovington89 and it is a yahoo address, so you know what to do. ; )

Post a Comment

<i>, <b> | links: <a href=""></a>